This gluten-free coconut popcorn shrimp recipe is so delicious! It is crispy, full of delicious coconut flavor and perfect as an appetizer or dinner.
I love this gluten-free coconut popcorn shrimp recipe because even my no seafood fan hubby requests it.
I just love seafood and this gluten-free coconut popcorn shrimp is making my palate so happy! A while back we bought a deep fryer because we love making homemade french fries. We made the investment (which was kind of a big one) and filled it with really good quality coconut oil.
While we know fried food isn’t always the best option, we liked the idea of our homemade fried dishes, being healthier by using a great oil. We turn our fryer down and cook it for a little longer at a lower temperature since coconut oil has very low smoke point. I will tell you, the investment was worth it! We deep fry something at least twice a month and the taste is fantastic (which can be hard to say for deep fried foods).
My husband doesn’t really enjoy seafood but he will happily eat breaded shrimp. Coconut is one of my favorite flavors so adding it to the batter then cooking in coconut oil, just seemed to make sense. These slightly sweet gluten-free coconut popcorn shrimp pair so well with a bit spicier sauce. I like that the whole meal, including the spicy mayo, is so easy to prepare. It takes only three ingredients to make a great accompaniment to the shrimp. I hope you enjoy these savory morsels as much as we do.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp w/ Spicy Mayo
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 C shredded coconut
- 1 C Better Batter gluten-free seasoned flour
- 1 C gluten-free all-purpose flour 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp onion salt, mixed together
- coconut oil for frying
- .25 c mayonnaise
- 1 tsp cholula.
- .125 tsp lime juice.
- Put shredded coconut in a bowl & gluten-free flour in another bowl
- Heat oil to fry shrimp in either a pot or deep fryer (I prefer use a deep fryer filled with coconut oil)
- Dip the shrimp in flour then the egg mixture
- Lastly, cover in shredded coconut
- Fry 4-6 minutes until golden brown
- Drain excess grease by placing shrimp on a paper towel
- To make the spicy mayo, simply combine mayonnaise, cholula and a splash of lime juice together
If you love this recipe, then be sure to check these out as well…