This gluten-free sticky toffee date cake is so ooey, gooey and delicious. It’s a cake everyone will love. This gluten-free sticky toffee date cake is great for any occasion. It is simple and beautiful to serve at your next dinner party or even on a birthday.
This gluten-free sticky toffee date cake is ooey, gooey and delicious. I’m not a huge cake fan unless it’s very moist; this cake is definitely that.
I first saw a cake similar to this while watching Barefoot Contest. I love her energy and the recipes she makes in her kitchen. After nearly drooling while watching an episode with her date cake, I knew I had to re-create it gluten-free. I also knew instead of using 3 1/2 cups of water to rehydrate the dates, I would definitely use my favorite Dry Sparkling soda. I chose the vanilla bean flavor since I was already using vanilla extract and thought it would just bring this cake to life even more. Boy did it!
Dry sparkling soda comes in a huge variety of flavors including my personal favorites, Juniper and lavender. They also have other fruity flavors like Fuji apple, rhubarb and rainier cherry. Dry Sparkling sodas are fantastic on their own but I love using them and recipes that can be paired perfectly as well. They are so smooth to drink and definitely feel like a treat but without all the sugar and junk you find in traditional soda.
This gluten-free sticky toffee date cake is a bit more dense than you’d expect from a yellow cake for example. For me though, that’s what I love about it! It’s bold in brown sugar and butter flavors as well as that beautiful vanilla.
Serve your cake with a nice, slightly chilled glass of Dry Sparkling vanilla bean soda for the ultimate pair.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Gluten-Free Sticky Toffee Date Cake
- 1 lb dates pitted and chopped
- 3 12 oz. bottles of Dry Sparkling Vanilla Bean soda
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 C butter softened
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 C gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3 T baking powder
- 1 C butter
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a saucepan over medium heat, place dates in 3 1/2 C Dry Sparkling Vanilla Bean soda
- Bring to a boil then cook an addition 2-3 minutes on medium heat
- Meanwhile, combine 1 C butter and 3/4 C brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in eggs one at a time
- Mix in gluten-free flour, salt, and xanthan gum
- When date mixture has boiled and cooked an additional 2-3 minutes, immediately remove from heat and add baking soda
- Grease two (9") cake pans really well
- Pour date mixture into flour mixture and combine gently
- Add in baking powder and mix well but not more than a minute
- Pour cake mixture into the two greased pans and cook at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- To make the sticky toffee sauce, combine 1 C butter, 1 C brown sugar, 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract and 1/2 C heavy cream and whisk well
- Bring to a boil then simmer 2-3 minutes to thicken
- When cakes are done, flip the first onto your serving stand and poke with toothpick to make tiny holes all over
- Pour a layer of sticky toffee sauce over gently then top with the other cake and repeat
- Let cake soak in the sauce for 8-10 minutes before serving
If you love this cake, be sure to check these out…
*Thank you to Dry Sparkling for sponsoring this post. I was provided with monetary and product compensation. All opinions are my own.