This warm bacon cabbage salad has been a family favorite recipe of ours now for over 15 years. I am excited to share it with all of you!
There is nothing quite like this bacon cabbage salad. It is so full of incredible flavors like bacon, walnuts, feta and balsamic.
I love sharing new recipes with you guys and this bacon cabbage salad is one you are going to love! It is a salad that my mom has been making for our family for over 15 years. It is surprisingly easy to make yet it comes out seeming so fancy. This was one of the recipes of my moms I was most excited to learn how to make.
Now I am sure some of you are saying, “But I am not a huge cabbage fan.” That’s ok, this salad will likely make a cabbage fan of you. I know a few people are will tell you that it did for them anyway.
While many salads are not, this one is hearty enough for men with the crumbled bacon, rich feta and walnuts. It is robust enough to stand on it’s own and in my mind, isn’t considered just a side. Although, it does make a great one. Kind of like our fluffy buttermilk biscuits.
I know when my mom first made this for my dad, he was a little skeptical. However, he soon came to love it as much as she did. I on the other hand, have loved it since the first time she made it for me.
For me, this salad is nostalgic. My mom and I would eat it while sitting down together to watch an episode of Law and Order. We didn’t get along very well in highschool but food was always one thing we could agree on. Since those school days, we are very close now. I still love going home to my moms house where I can enjoy this bacon cabbage salad as I once used to.
Bacon Cabbage Salad Notes:
- Don’t be afraid to use the bacon grease for cooking the cabbage, it will give this salad so much flavor!
- Make sure to cook the cabbage only a few minutes, you want it to still be a vibrant purple color
- Be sure to toss the cabbage and get the yummy bacon morsels off the bottom of the pan when cooking
- Choose aged balsamic that is thick and delicious. I like THIS one…
- 1 (16 oz.) package of nitrate-free, gluten-free bacon (I like Applegate Farms)
- 1 head purple cabbage, chopped into thin strips
- 1/2 C Feta cheese
- 1/2 C raw walnuts, chopped
- 3 Tbls. gluten-free balsamic vinegar
- Real Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan cook bacon until crisp
- Transfer bacon to a plate to cool
- Remove HALF, only HALF of the bacon grease from the pan
- Add cabbage to the bacon grease and cook until slightly tender (It should still be a bright purple. If you overcook it you will lose the vibrant color and be left with a purple cabbage)
- Add balsamic vinegar, chopped bacon and as many walnuts as you prefer and toss lightly
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with Feta cheese and Real Salt to taste
If you like this recipe, be sure to check these out…
This recipe was first posted on my old blog back in 2011.