This slow cooker ham and bean soup is so warm and filling. The pomegranate adds so much freshness!
I love finding ways to use my Thanksgiving leftovers and this slow cooker ham and bean soup is one of my favorites!
While you can let this slow cooker ham and bean soup cook all day low and slow, you can also whip it up even quicker in your Instant Pot.
Either way, it is sure to fill hungry bellies during those cold winter months. It is great served up with our fluffy gluten-free crescent rolls.
This recipe was originally created and posted back on February 2011! Yeah, we’ve been making it before Instagram was even around… We are vintage like that.
It truly is a great recipe to use up every last bit of a ham when you have already eaten all you can from off the bone.
My mom taught me to use everything so I just love this tasty recipe that accomplishes that. Of course, the fact that this recipe is so cheap to make, also makes it a winner.
Tips for removing pomegranate seeds
- Roll the pomegranate the way you would a lemon to loosen the seeds
- Cut in half and tear it open into two
- Hold one side over a bowl with the seeds facing down
- Gently tap the skin with the back of a spoon, squeezing the pomegranate a bit to release the seeds
*Or go easy and buy pomegranate seeds already removed If you also like leftovers, be sure to check out our ham and cheese potato casserole with pretzel crust. It is great for breakfast or dinner!
My friend Erin at Meaningful Eats also has a tasty recipe using pomegranates that you will love! Her dairy-free cranberry Christmas fluff is super tasty.Print
This slow cooker ham and bean soup is so filling and delicious! The pomegranate adds a nice burst of freshness that everyone will love.
- Leftover ham hock (bone)
- 1 lb. bag dry assorted beans
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 c. pomegranate juice
- seeds from one pomegranate, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Rinse and sort dry beans in a colander (remove any debris or rocks that sometimes show up in dry bags of beans)
- Cover beans with water in a slow cooker and soak them overnight
- The following morning add the ham bone, onion and a little more water to cover the beans
- Cook on low 7 hours then on high 1 hour
- About halfway through cooking or 4 hours in, add the pomegranate juice and half the seeds
- Once everything has cooked for 8 hours, remove bone and take off all the ham you can get and chop or shred it and put it back into the soup
- Skim off any excess fat or parts of the ham you don’t want in your soup and discard
- Ladle out 1-2 c. beans and puree in a blender
- Add them back in to thicken the soup naturally
- Add a bit more salt to taste and enjoy topped with more fresh pomegranate seeds!
Be sure to sort and rinse the dry beans well before using.
Keywords: slow cooker, easy dinner recipe
If you like this recipe, you are going to love these…
Original recipe photo from 2011. Look at that styling and lighting. 😉