Gluten-free funeral potatoes are easy to make and a real crowd pleasing recipe. They are great for Sunday supper. Whether you know them as gluten-free funeral potatoes, yummy potatoes or cheesy hashbrown casserole they are all the same and so delicious!
This family favorite meal side dish of funeral potatoes is one we have been enjoying for generations. As Mormon’s we love making casseroles. From funeral luncheons at our local church (likely where the name came from) to baby showers and Sunday dinner, this potato “casserole” is almost always on the menu.
The creamy, cheesiness of potatoes seasoned just right with Real Salt, pepper and onion is something so delicious you just can’t get enough! Pair it with perfectly seasoned barbecue chicken and you have a dinner the entire family will enjoy.
While this potato casserole recipe has always been a favorite of mine, I had to convert it to gluten-free after being diagnosed with celiac disease. Thanks to great brands like Pacific Foods, I can now do this easily do this using their gluten-free cream of chicken soup.
However, for those wanting to make a homemade gluten-free cream of chicken soup, we have a great recipe in the book my mom and I wrote, Gluten-Free on a Budget. We hope you enjoy these recipes as much as our family does.
I love serving these up on holidays like Easter and Thanksgiving especially. They go great with a homemade gluten-free pie.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Gluten-Free Funeral Potatoes (Family Size)
- 2 24 oz. bags gluten-free hashbrowns
- 2 12 oz. box gluten-free cream of chicken soup
- 3 C gluten-free sour cream
- 2 C cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 T butter
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 6 slices of day old gluten-free bread made in breadcrumbs plus 2 T melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Cook onions in 2 T butter until white and translucent
- In a bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheese, salt & pepper
- Mix sour cream mix, hashbrowns and onions in a 10x15 baking pan OR two 8x8
- Top the potatoes with breadcrumbs mixed with 2 T melted butter
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes
If you like this recipe, be sure to try these…
Look at this picture I took years ago when this recipe first posted January 25, 2012. Thank you for your patience in my updating the photos. 🙂
We updated this recipe on March 14, 2016 as well…
*This great recipe was featured on http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/2012/01/gluten-free-wednesdays-1-25-12/
*This post contains affiliate links. This means that for purchases made using my links, I get a small compensation. This helps keep my site up and running. These are my opinions and my opinions alone.