For a tasty spin on traditional tacos, try this easy taco casserole! Made with classic taco ingredients in under 30 minutes for a quick, naturally gluten-free dinner that the whole family will love.
Take your next taco night to the next level with this easy casserole. Just as delicious as classic gluten free tacos but without all of the mess. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, Doritos, or Fritos for a satisfying crunch.
The secret to authentic tasting tacos is to use a homemade gluten free taco seasoning blend. Made with spices you probably already have lying around the house, it really takes this recipe to the next level!
You can even prep a bunch of homemade seasoning and use when needed or make tacos for a crowd! Tacos and/or a taco casserole is such an easy and delicious way to feed a large number of people. In fact, prep this casserole up to two days ahead of time to make cooking for a party stress-free.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s been a family favorite recipe for years
- You can make it ahead of time and bake when ready
- Made with whole ingredients for a delicious, and gluten-free dinner
- A fun, yet easier to prepare, twist on classic tacos
- No sour cream or refried beans so it’s easy on your stomach
Ingredients you’ll need
- Ground beef – I like to use grass fed organic beef but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Vegetables – Frozen corn and black olives are essentials in this recipe but you can also add your favorite veggies as well.
- Tortillas – Corn tortillas are the best gluten-free tortillas. If you’re not gf, you can use whatever you have.
- Cheese – Freshly grated cheddar cheese instead of pre shredded cheese will make a world of a difference. It melted better and is much more flavorful!
- Tomato sauce
- Corn starch – This is used as a thickening agent
- Gluten Free Taco Seasoning – No need to grab all the different spice. This homemade 1-minute gluten free taco seasoning is perfect!
How to make the best taco casserole
Step 1: Prepare meat
Cook ground beef and enchilada sauce then layer with corn tortillas
Subscribe to This Vivacious Life
Receive a free e-book of Instant Pot recipes!
Step 2: Add ground beef
Add ground beef as the next layer
Steps 3 & 4: Layer!
Layer with frozen corn and then cheese
Steps 5 & 6: Layer and bake
Finish with olives and then layer 2 more times.
Pro tip: If you’re preparing the casserole ahead of time. Place casserole in the fridge for up to two days and bake when needed.
- If you’re feeding a crown, an aluminum foil pan will make it much easier to serve. It’s easier to carry and you can discard when you’re done.
- Make sure you drain fat from the ground beef so the casserole doesn’t get soggy.
- If making ahead of time, make sure to cool the casserole completely before storing in an alright container. This will help it stay fresh for a longer period of time.
Storing – You can store leftover casserole in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. An airtight container or a casserole dish wrapped in plastic wrap/tin foil will do just fine. Reheat in the oven or the microwave for a quick and easy meal.
Freezing – If you want to freeze this recipe, do so before you bake it. Once casserole is prepared, but not baked, freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the fridge until room temperature before baking.
Taco casserole FAQs
What’s the best meat to use for tacos
I prefer to use a lean ground beef for this taco bake casserole but you can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or a mix of sausage and beef for this recipe. Using a leaner type of meat is an easy way to lower the calories in this easy taco casserole recipe. Just make sure to drain any excess grease before adding it to the casserole pan.
What is the best side dish for tacos?
My all time favorite dish to serve with taco casseroles is gluten-free corn bread. It perfectly compliments the spicy flavors of the taco casserole without taking away from the dish. You can also serve this dish with Mexican rice or black beans.
What can I top on this casserole?
To spice up this delicious taco casserole, feel free to top with shredded lettuce, more enchilada sauce, guacamole, pico de gallo, and/or your favorite crunchy tortilla chips. Taco sauce and your favorite toppings will also work.
More delicious recipes
- My taco salad recipe is an easy and quick lunch recipe that never gets old.
- These spicy taco rolls dunked in delicious spicy queso makes for the best appetizer.
- My mango habanero salsa is the perfect amount of kick with fruity sweetness. You have to try it.
- Another great way to feed a crowd is by arranging a Mexican charcuterie board.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
NEED MORE GOODNESS? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter for great recipes, entertaining ideas and more!
Easy Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sliced black olives sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons gluten free taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Fry beef until cooked all the way through, making sure to break in to small bite size pieces
- In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, cornstarch and taco seasoning and bring to a boil
- Spread a little of mixture at the bottom of a round, or 9×9 baking dish
- Layer the casserole in this order: Tortillas (dipped in enchilada sauce until completely covered), beef, corn, olives and cheese then repeat ending with cheese on top.
- Bake, covered with tin foil, for 40 minutes or until hot all the way through
- Top with gluten-free ranch dressing or sour cream and fresh cilantro
This post was originally published back on July 29, 2010! It has since been updated with more helpful information and new photos. Here are the original photos… 🙂
Genius!! I love how you can make this ahead of time. It makes weekday dinners much easier.