Our 1-minute gluten free taco seasoning is perfect for taco night and will quickly become your favorite seasoning in your spice cabinet. It makes the process of cooking gluten free tacos, so much easier!
I love to celebrate life, so I try to make each meal special. For example, I love to do Taco Tuesday with my family. It gives us something to look forward to each week and makes life a little more fun.
This taco seasoning really takes tacos to the next level. Seasonings really are the key to take a meal from good to great. Here is a chicken taco seasoning for those poultry taco nights.
We have these veggie beet tacos that are tasty and healthy and our taco salad recipe that you have to try for your next Taco Tuesday. If you are cooking for a larger crowd, check out our tacos for a crowd or taco casserole recipes.
If you want to try something a little different, you should try our Mexican charcuterie board. It is a fun mix of tacos, chips and salsa, guacamole, and many other yummy things. You can also add rolled tacos with queso to your board.
Subscribe to This Vivacious Life
Receive a free e-book of Instant Pot recipes!
Why you should make this recipe
- It makes the perfect gift for family and friends
- It will take five minutes MAX to make
- It is the best taco seasoning I’ve ever tasted
- Your gluten-free friends will appreciate it
- Chili powder – Make sure you are using chili powder, not chili pepper. Chili powder has more flavor and seasoning to it, so it is perfect for this homemade seasoning. Some people like to use red pepper flakes, but I think chili powder works best.
- Minced dehydrated onion – I like to use minced dehydrated onions because it adds a little more texture to the seasoning than onion powder would. It adds a special flavor to this blend of spices.
- Ground cumin – Cumin adds a wonderful depth to our homemade taco seasoning recipe. I love the earthy flavor it adds.
- Salt – Use whatever type of salt you want. I know some people prefer to use sea salt, so go with whatever you prefer.
- Paprika – Paprika is a great addition to this spice blend. Depending on the type, it can either add a sweet flavor or a spicy flavor.
- Cayenne (Optional) – For an extra kick, add some cayenne to your taco seasoning. Make sure you check with the whole family before adding cayenne to your seasoning.
How to Make Gluten Free Taco Seasoning
Combine All Ingredients
For this easy homemade taco seasoning, all you really need to do is put all of these simple ingredients together. Make sure you have all of the ingredients set out before doing so.
Then, combine all ingredients in a small jar. You can use whatever jar you want, but I usually will go with a small mason jar.
Shake to Combine
Once all of the ingredients are in a jar, close up the lid and make sure it is closed tight. Also, make sure you use an airtight jar to keep the mix fresh.
After you ensure the lid is on tight, shake up the mix. I shake it really well to make sure all of the spices combine perfectly.
Tips for Success
- Make sure the spices are gluten-free: Most of the spices are naturally gluten-free, but it is always important to check before buying, especially if you have celiac disease. You can tell if they are certified gluten-free spices by looking at the ingredient statement or label.
- Use a cute jar: I think getting a cute jar for this original taco seasoning mix make the recipe even more fun. There are tons of cute jars out there!
- Give as a gift: This taco seasoning is the perfect little gift for a friend or neighbor. It is easy to make and it is absolutely delicious.
Storage and Freezing
Storing: The key to storing your taco seasoning is an airtight container. The seasoning will lose its flavor if it is not sealed correctly.
The seasoning will last in the pantry for up to 3 months. It should be stored in a cool, dark place.
Freezing: To make sure your taco seasoning is always fresh, you can freeze it. Store it in an airtight container before freezing.
Allow the seasoning to thaw in the fridge overnight when you are ready to use. The taco seasoning will last 6-8 months in the freezer.
Store Bought Taco Seasonings
Now you may be wondering: Is taco seasoning gluten free? Are there gluten-free taco seasonings you can buy at your local grocery store? Absolutely.
There are plenty of taco seasonings that are gluten-free. So let’s see which ones…
Is Old el Paso taco seasoning is gluten-free? There are no gluten containing ingredients.
Is McCormick taco seasoning gluten free? Yes, and you can also buy McCormick gluten-free taco seasoning mix at the store. It says on the front of the container “gluten-free,” so it is certified gluten-free.
Siete taco seasoning is also gluten free. It is delicious and made from the most natural ingredients.
When a product is certified gluten-free, it is safe for those with celiac. There is a concern that there will be cross contamination when foods are made in factories with other foods, but you are safe when a food it certified gluten free.
What would make taco seasoning not gluten-free?
Some taco seasonings contain gluten ingredients like wheat flour. This ingredient acts as a thickener but isn’t necessary.
What can I substitute for taco seasoning?
A mix of cumin and chili powder is usually a safe bet when substituting for taco seasoning. It tastes similar enough to work as a substitute.
Is there a difference between chicken taco seasoning and beef taco seasoning?
There actually is a difference between the two. Chicken taco seasoning will typically have a more mild flavor, containing less cumin than beef taco seasoning.
Ways to Enjoy
This recipe is perfect to add to any type of tacos you are making. You could even add this seasoning to make taco soup. I would definitely recommend trying it with our famous beef nachos.
If you want to try a different type of nachos, you should try out our dessert nachos. Who says nachos can’t be a dessert?
When I am making a new dinner, I always like to pair it with a tasty mocktail. We have tons of recipes, and I think a virgin mojito, virgin margarita, or a non-alcoholic white sangria would pair well with this recipe.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
1-Minute Gluten Free Taco Seasoning
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 tablespoons minced dehydrated onion
- 6 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional for more heat)
- In a small jar, combine all ingredients
- Close with a lid and shake to combine