This post was sponsored by our friends at Kodiak Cakes.
You guys are going to love this caramel apple upside down cake! It is a cake that is great on its own, with our caramel sauce or served al a mode.
If you want a crowd pleasing dessert, make this caramel apple upside down cake.
This apple upside down cake came about because I LOVE pineapple upside down cake. I rarely eat cake but I like how moist upside down cakes are and up until now, pineapple has been my favorite.
The problem though is that during the fall, pineapple doesn’t feel so cozy. Since apples are the official fruit of fall and winter, that it would be fun to create a gluten-free caramel apple upside down cake. It is surprisingly easy to make is so tasty. It can be served to friends and family who aren’t gluten-free and they will love it too.
For this recipe, I used Kodiak Cakes gluten-free baking and flapjacks mix. It is really hearty and flavorful with it’s oat flour base.
It works wonderfully in this cake mix but it also makes very tasty gluten-free pancakes and waffles. The texture is great and doesn’t crumble or fall apart. The shape holds like regular baked goods!
While I love using sweet red apples, you can always go more tart with green apples. I also like smaller apples but the larger ones work just as well.
To take this cake to the next level, we love to top it with the most decadent brown sugar caramel sauce. It is so good you could eat it with a spoon! We also love garnishing it with Bare Snacks dried apple chips. Kodiak Cakes also has other great products. While I can’t eat them, my husband says they are great! They have flapjack mix and power cakes as well as individual cup mixes.
Be sure to give the ones you can eat a try!
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
- 2 1/4 C Kodiak Cakes gluten-free baking and flapjacks mix or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 C whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2/3 C brown sugar
- 2 small apples cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 T heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a stand mixer
- Add in sugar and 1/2 C butter and mix well
- Beat in eggs then milk and vanilla
- Meanwhile spray a 9 inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Place 1/2 C butter into the bottom of the pan then sprinkle with 2/3 brown sugar evenly
- Place sliced apples in concentric circles on top of the brown sugar and press them down
- Pour the cake over apples
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out crumby but clean
- Meanwhile, bring 1/2 C butter, 1 C brown sugar and 2 T cream to a boil while whisking constantly
- Drizzle over cooled cake
If you like this recipe, you may like these as well…