You guys are going to love this gluten-free chocolate orange oatmeal cake.
This gluten-free chocolate orange oatmeal cake is perfect for the holidays and full of rich chocolate and citrusy orange flavor.
I chose to make this gluten-free chocolate orange oatmeal cake because because of its nostalgic holiday flavors. I loved getting a chocolate orange in my stocking every year on Christmas. I also loved eating chocolate orange sticks with my grandpa during the holidays. I figured if it was a nostalgic holiday flavor for me, it had to be for others as well.
During the holidays I love the combination of chocolate and orange flavor. It seems like we get a lot of peppermint treats which is fine but it’s fun to get different flavors in Christmas desserts as well. Gingerbread is another flavor that is always showing up during this time of year. So setting yourself apart with this gluten-free chocolate orange oatmeal cake will be sure to please at your next party or gathering.
Bakery on Main Organic Happy Oats work so well in this recipe. They are dedicated gluten-free and replace much of the flour you traditionally use in cake. They are much more heart healthy, fiber filled and hearty making this cake one that sticks to your ribs in a good way.
Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with Cranberries, Orange and Cinnamon bars plus their milk chocolate bars give this dessert a very rich chocolatey flavor.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Orange Oatmeal Cake
- 1 1/4 C brown sugar
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 C gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. orange extract
- 1 C Bakery on Main Organic Happy Oats
- 1 3/4 C boiling water
- 1 3 oz. Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with Cranberries, Orange and Cinnamon Bars, chopped
- 5 3 oz. Endangered Species Milk Chocolate Bars, chopped
- 6 T butter
- 3 T whole cream
- 3 T milk
- 1 1/3 C sugar
- 3/4 C mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and 1 1/4 C brown sugar with 3/4 C white sugar
- Add eggs one at a time and continuing mixing
- Add gluten-free flour, salt, baking soda and powder and cocoa until just mixed
- Combine oats, orange extract and water in a bowl and let them sit 2 minutes then add them to the mixture
- Gently stir in one Endangered Species milk chocolate bar and one Endangered Species dark chocolate cranberries, orange and cinnamon bars
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan
- Add two more chopped Endangered Species milk chocolate bars to the top of the cake before baking
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or just crumby but not wet
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by combining 6 T melted butter, 1 1/3 C sugar, cream, milk and 1/4 tsp. orange extract in a pot and cook over low to medium heat
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and add mini marshmallows and remaining 2 chopped Endangered Species milk chocolate bars
- Stir until smooth then pour immediately over the cooled cake, do not allow the frosting to cool first
If you like this cake, you are going to love these!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Strawberry Cake from My Gluten-Free Kitchen