These Instant Pot pork chops with cinnamon apples are a quick and easy dinner. They can be prepared and on the table in under 40 minutes!
As a busy mama, I need an easy recipe that the whole family will love. I am always looking for a new easy Instant Pot dinner because they don’t take forever to make. And, they are usually one pan recipes, which is even better.
In our busy world with the schedules we all have, this is a great improvement for the kitchen. While there are many of them to choose from, I like my 6 quart 9-in-1 instant pot.
The sweetness of the apples goes perfectly with the protein filled pork. You can serve it over rice or they go great with our gluten-free crescent rolls, instant pot broccoli cheddar soup or potato cakes.
Subscribe to This Vivacious Life
Receive a free e-book of Instant Pot recipes!
Why you should make this recipe
- You can cook this easy meal in a fraction of the time it usually takes to traditionally cook them and it only takes a few minutes of prep time.
- It also makes clean up a breeze because you can sauté the meat then cook it all in one pot.
- These delicious pork chops require simple seasoning, but have maximum flavor. It is a simple recipe with the best flavor. That’s a win-win in my book.
- Boneless Pork Chops – For this recipe, we use boneless chops. You will see some recipes use bone-in chops, but we prefer boneless. You will need 4 chops (1.5 pounds).
- Large Fuji Apples – Two large apples will do. If you can only find smaller ones, get three or four so you have enough. Cut them into thin slices.
- Butter – Two tablespoons of butter are used to help sauté the chops. The remaining butter is used to make the delicious brown sugar mixture.
- Brown Sugar – Adding brown sugar to a recipe is one of my favorite ways to spice up a recipe. It has a deeper flavor, which subtlety seasons whatever you are cooking.
- Cornstarch – We use gluten-free cornstarch in our house, but any cornstarch is fine. It is used as a thickening agent in the brown sugar mixture.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon pairs wonderfully with brown sugar, so of course I had to add it in. Also, the cinnamon mixed with apples is divine.
- Dry Sparkling Soda – We recommend using the fuji apple flavor because we use fuji apples for this recipe. If you can’t find it, you can try another apple soda. It will work just fine.
How to make Instant Pot pork chops
Place 2 tablespoons of butter in the bottom of your instant pot and push the sauté function. Let the butter melt, but make sure you stir it occasionally so it does not burn.
Then place the pork chops in the instant pot in a single layer (as shown in photo 1). Make sure they do not overlap.
Sear pork chops
Sear the pork chops for 2 minutes. Cook on one side until lightly browned then flip them over and do the same on the other side.
Remove the chops and place on a plate to the side. Be careful, as they will be hot.
Deglaze the pan
To completely deglaze the pan, pour 1/4 of the bottle of apple soda into the pot. Make sure you scrape off all the bits of pork from the bottom of the pot.
You will be using the Instant Pot again, so to avoid a burn signal make sure all of the browned bits of pork is scraped off of the bottom. The apple soda will help loosen up any tough spots.
Make brown sugar mixture
Next, you will want to make the brown sugar mixture. Combine the remaining melted butter, corn starch, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
This mixture will top the pork chops and creates this flavorful meat. I find that brown sugar and cinnamon pair perfectly with savory dishes.
Top pork chops
Turn the Instant Pot off and place the pork chops back in the pot. Place them in a single layer, making sure the seasoning reaches all pork chops.
Top with sliced apples and brown sugar mixture. Try your best to make sure the seasoning is evenly spread.
Cook pork chops
Pour the dry sparkling soda over everything and seal the lid. Cook on pressure cook or on manual for 8 minutes.
It will take about 10 minutes for it to come up to pressure.
Once it has finished cooking, let it naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Then quick release the Instant Pot for the remainder and open the lid.
I love pressure cooking with the Instant Pot because it is incredibly easy. Plus, it always smells so good once you take off the lid.
After they are done, place pork chops on a plate. Serve pork chops smothered with apples and sauce over top.
These tender pork chops are tasty on their own, but the apples and sauce on top take them to the next level. They are so good, you will want to make them on a regular basis.
Tips for Success
- Take your time: Yes, Instant Pots cook things quickly, but sometimes it takes a bit longer for the pressure to release. I hate feeling rushed when cooking (it happens a lot, unfortunately), so it is a good idea to plan ahead.
- Use a thin cut of pork chop: For this recipe, I recommend a thinner cut (about 1/2 inch thick).
Storage and Freezing
Storing: Allow the leftover Instant pot pork chops to cool to room temperature before placing them in an airtight container. Once you seal the container, place it in the fridge. It will last 2 days.
Freezing: You can freeze cooked pork chops for up to 3 months. Put a double layer of wax paper between each pork chop, then place them in a freezer bag.
Why are my Instant Pot pork chops tough?
Overcooking meat will make it tough. It is important to keep an eye on the pressure cook time when you are cooking these pork chops. You will get the best results when you keep an eye on the time.
Do pork and apples really go together?
Oh, absolutely. Think about how you see cooked pigs with an apple in their mouth. The pair have gone together for years and years.
Ways to Enjoy
This perfect recipe is wonderful on its own, but I find that it pairs well with any of our mocktails. I think these easy pork chops would especially go with our virgin mojito or our non alcoholic mulled wine.
If you are looking for side dishes to pair these slow cooker pork chops with, you could try our gluten free stuffing if you want to continue with the apple flavor. Our gluten-free mashed potatoes also pair well, as does our cucumber salad.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Instant Pot Pork Chops with Apples
- 1.5 pounds boneless pork chops 4 chops
- 2 large Fuji apples sliced thin
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 12 oz. bottle Dry Sparkling fuji apple soda (or another apple soda if you can’t find this one)
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter in the bottom of your instant pot and push sauté. Let the butter melt then place the pork chops in the instant pot in a single layer (as shown in photo 1).
- Sear the pork chops for 2 minutes, until lightly browned on one side then flip them over and do the same on the other side. Remove the chops and place on a plate.
- Completely deglaze the pan by pouring 1/4 the bottle of apple soda into the pot and scraping off all the bits of pork from the bottom.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter, corn starch, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl (as shown in photo 2).
- Turn the Instant Pot off and place the pork chops back in the pot and top with sliced apples and brown sugar mixture.
- Pour the dry sparkling soda over everything and seal the lid. Cook on pressure cook or manual for 8 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for it to come up to pressure.
- Once it has finished cooking, let it naturally release pressure for 10 minutes then quick release the remainder and open the lid. Serve pork chops smothered with apples and sauce over top.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on October 17, 2017, but was updated with new information on December 9, 2022.