These potato cakes are an easy leftover side dish or breakfast that everyone will love. Potato cakes are super easy and they quick too. The kiddos can even help make them.
What do you do with leftover mashed potatoes? Make these easy potato cakes!
The texture of leftover mashed potatoes isn’t quite right to have them with gravy again. Not to mention, the gravy is jellied now and let’s face it, just not quite the same the next day.
That’s why these potato cakes are perfect. They let you use your leftover mashed potatoes but they come out in a fun, new dish. I can assure you, nobody will ever know they are leftovers!
The sour cream dressing takes them to the next level and gives them a nice, cool dipping friend. By simply adding a few ingredients, you can take leftover mashed potatoes to a whole new place. I personally like to add chives, paprika and some salt but you can add whatever you like.
I also like to use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs. They add more crunch and texture than some of the other gluten-free breadcrumbs out there. After you add the ingredients in our recipe (or others you want to choose) mix them well and roll into a ball.
Next, flatten out the ball into a disc and coat in gluten-free panko breadcrumbs. Lastly, just fry them up in some butter until hot and crisp.
While the potato cakes are cooking, you can mix up the dressing ingredients. Serve it up with crispy gluten-free potato cakes.
We sure love Thanksgiving but there are always lots of leftovers like the mashed potatoes we use in this recipe.
My friend Chrystal also uses turkey leftovers to make her famous gluten-free turkey pot pie. It has a flaky delicious crust you are going to love!
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Potato Cakes with Sour Cream Dressing
- 2 C leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 C gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 T chives
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/4 tsp. Onion salt
- dash of black pepper
- In a bowl, combine leftover mashed potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, cayenne, paprika and chives
- Scoop 2 T balls of leftover mashed potatoes and roll into a ball
- Flatten them into 1 inch thick discs
- Press potato disc into breadcrumb mixture until the entire thing is covered
- Flip and do the same on the other side
- Fry in butter about 2 minutes on each side or until hot in the middle and crispy
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, onion salt and black pepper in a bowl to make sour cream dressing
- Drizzle with sour cream dressing or serve on the side
*This recipe was originally published on November 18, 2009.