These spider chocolate chip cookies are gluten-free and perfect for Halloween!
I love making these spider chocolate chip cookies. They are such an easy and spooky dessert perfect for anytime in October!
After seeing these cute spider chocolate chip cookies on Pinterest, I vowed to make them gluten-free. I am pleased to announce that they turned out rich, buttery and oh-so-delicious!
Back when I first made them in 2014, I was so pleasantly surprised when I got the most recent issue of Living Without’s Gluten Free and More magazine the same month and the awesome Jules Shepard had the same idea! Her Halloween ideas were adorable so be sure to check them out.
I made this recipe super easy for you guys using a gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour. I’ve used Better Batter and Bob’s Red Mill brands but feel free to use any gluten-free cup for cup flour you’d like.
I personally like to undercook mine just slightly because I like a bit of a gooey center. My husband on the other hand, likes his crisp.
I usually just make them in two separate batches, one soft and chewy and one cooked a few minutes longer to crispy.
Spider Chocolate Chip Cookies…Baking Tips
- Use a good quality gluten-free cup for cup or 1-to-1 flour
- High quality chocolate chips are best for these cookies
- Take this recipe to the next level by browning the butter before putting it into the mixer
Like I mentioned before, I first made these back in 2014. The ones on the right below that are on the wire rack, were how they were designed. I used a toothpick and just dragged chocolate from the center out.
I have learned since then that drawing the legs on makes for a much more realistic spider. I also like to use a caramel chocolate melt to make a brown recluse type of spider.
My hubby said it was creepy but I thought it was pretty fun!All hands are sure to be reaching for these spider chocolate chip cookies the next time you make them!
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Spider Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free)
- 2 1/4 C gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 C brown sugar packed
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 C butter
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. gluten-free almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 C chocolate chips plus an additional 1/2 C
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer, beat the sugars, butter and vanilla until smooth
- Add the gluten-free vanilla and almond extracts
- One at a time, add the eggs and continue mixing on low
- In another bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, salt and baking soda
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until well combined
- Add the chocolate chips and gently mix in
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets
- Push in 1-2 extra chocolate chips on the top of each cookie
- Bake 9-11 minutes
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the pan then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 C chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave for 1 minute
- Once melted, place the chocolate into a piping bag and cut the tip very small
- Once the cookies are cooled, "draw" spider legs off of the chocolate chips on the top of the cookie using the melted chocolate
If you like these cookies, you are going to love these other Halloween cookies…