This chocolate chip cheeseball recipe makes the best party food. It is such an easy dessert that everyone is going to love.
With simple ingredients, it is a sweet appetizer cheeseball that is perfect with Nilla wafers, pretzels and simple cookies.
I love hosting parties because they are a time when you can spend time with your loved ones. One of our core values here is celebrating this wonderful life we have together, and parties are one way to do that.
Parties are a great way to create memories with friends and family. You get to gather together and enjoy each other’s company while snacking on food. And what is a party without tasty food?
We love serving our tasty mocktails at parties and sometimes even create a drink specifically for themed parties. This smoking Halloween mocktail is perfect for Halloween because of the spooky look the dry ice gives the beverage.
Subscribe to This Vivacious Life
Receive a free e-book of Instant Pot recipes!
Our blue lagoon mocktail and fresh raspberry mocktail are the best summer drinks. We also have Christmas mocktails, so don’t worry. Drinks can really help tie in the theme of a party to the food table.
I just know you are going to love this amazing recipe. It makes the perfect dessert appetizer and is definitely going to become your new favorite sweet treat.
You can serve this sweet cheese ball or our mini cheeseballs at any and all special occasions like a baby shower, birthday party, holiday party, or football party. It requires simple ingredients, making this treat almost too easy to make.
Why you should make this recipe
- It is the perfect no-bake dessert (your kids could totally make it by themselves).
- All of the ingredients can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- It is an easy and tasty option to make for your next party.
- Cream cheese – Let the cream cheese soften before mixing.
- Butter – Just like the cream cheese, you should allow the butter to soften. It will mix much easier if it is soft.
- Vanilla extract – The soft flavor of vanilla adds the perfect touch to this fun snack.
- Almond extract – The almond flavor mixed with the vanilla extract creates the perfectly sweet flavor for this treat.
- Powdered sugar – Powdered sugar helps keep the cream cheese mixture together.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar also helps pack the cream cheese mixture.
- Mini chocolate chips – Take note when making that the chocolate chips are divided in the recipe.
- Pecans – Make sure you chop them.
How to make chocolate chip cheeseball
Create cream cheese mixture
Put the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl for a stand mixer. Slowly start to mix together.
Add in vanilla and almond extracts and sugars. Mix until light and fluffy.
Slowly stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. You can still use the electric mixer, just do it gently.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap after the chocolate chips are mixed in. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, remove from the refrigerator. Shape the mixture into a ball.
Put the rest of the chocolate chips and chopped pecans together. Roll the ball in the chocolate chips and pecans for a yummy outside layer.
Tips for recipe success
- Mix it up – Not a fan of pecans? Use another type of nut! Walnuts work just as well. You could also mix in toffee bits for more flavor.
- Buy extra – This recipe is so good that it will be gone quickly. Trust me when I say you should have extra ingredients to make another dessert cheeseball just in case.
- Mix slowly – Especially with the powdered sugar, you will want to ensure you mix slowly. I have made so many messed by mixing too quickly and powdered sugar flies everywhere.
Storage and Freezing
Storing – After serving, wrap the cheeseball in a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. Store in the fridge.
It will keep for about 4 days. It is so good that I doubt it will last that long.
Freezing – Wrap up the cheeseball just like you would when storing and place in the freezer. It will last up to 4 months.
When ready to defrost, put it in the fridge for 6 hours. Unwrap and place it at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
What crackers do you serve with a chocolate chip dessert cheese ball?
There are so many options! Graham cracker sticks (bonus points if they are chocolate graham crackers) are pretty common, but we’d also recommend animal crackers, mini vanilla wafers, and teddy grahams.
What other dessert cheeseball ideas are there?
You can use this same recipe but replace the chocolate chips with peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips, which would be absolutely delicious. White chocolate chips would also be yummy.
Ways to enjoy
Looking for a themed charcuterie board? We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentines, and Christmas charcuterie boards. This summer charcuterie board is perfect for the summer months if you need a tasty appetizer.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Chocolate Chip Cheeseball
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Using a mixer, mix softened cream cheese and butter with vanilla and almond extracts and sugars until light and fluffy
- Gently stir in 1/2 chocolate chips then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Remove the the refrigerator, shape into a ball and roll in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and 1/4 cup chopped pecans that have been mixed together