My hands down favorite Thanksgiving food is gluten-free green bean casserole with homemade fried onions. I can literally eat the entire pan on my own!
Gluten-free green bean casserole has always been one of my all time favorite Thanksgiving day foods.
I decided to make a recipe for gluten-free green bean casserole WITH homemade fried onions for you all. Because if you know me, then you know that I don’t think anyone who lives gluten-free should miss out on anything. Especially not on holidays.
This is why my talented mama and I recreate delicious favorites like her gluten-free crescent rolls or gluten-free cinnamon rolls. I also love to come up with fun new menu items that everyone will enjoy.
Remember my our turkey, cranberry and brie savory bread pudding? It is always a big hit on the Thanksgiving table. It’s also a recipe that is great for using leftover turkey.
Our turkey, corn and cream cheese fried flautas are also great for using leftover Thanksgiving turkey! If you have leftover ham, don’t fret, our ham n’ cheese potato casserole with pretzel crust is great too.
This gluten-free green-bean casserole with homemade fried onions is surprisingly easy and will definitely be a crowd pleaser.
TIPS FOR MAKING GLUTEN-FREE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE WITH HOMEMADE FRIED ONIONS:
-Don’t use purple onions when making fried onions as they turn out a bit dark and unpleasant looking. Stick with white or yellow.
-Prepare the homemade fried onions up to three days in advance to save yourself time on Thanksgiving. Be sure to let them fully cool before storing them in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
-Use Pacific brand cream of mushroom or chicken soup as it is gluten-free and not too think in consistency.
-Be sure to season both the fried onions batter and the casserole itself with a bit of cracked black pepper. It adds a great depth of flavor!
You may wonder why I use canned green beans instead of fresh. The truth is that I love a classic green bean casserole and the fresh just don’t give it that same flavor that grandma’s did.
What can I say, I am a very nostalgic person. If you like fresh, most certainly feel free to use them.
No matter which you choose, one thing is certain. Everyone will love this dish! I dare you not to eat all those homemade fried onions before you get them into the casserole. 😉
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole w/ Homemade Fried Onions
- 1 box Pacific Foods Condensed cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- 1 tsp. gluten-free soy sauce
- 4 cans of organic green beans
- Dash of Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 1/3 c. gluten-free fried onions ingredients to make them below
- 2 large onions
- 1 1/2 c. gluten-free all-purpose flour blend OR 1/2 c. brown rice flour, 1/2 c. tapioca starch, 1/2 C white rice flour
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 C 2% or whole milk
- Deep fryer filled with oil
- To make the fried onions, begin by slicing onions into thin rings
- Place the onions in a bowl and cover with milk to soak for 5 minutes
- Combine flours, Real salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in another bowl
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep fryer
- Remove a few onion rings from milk and shake excess liquid
- Toss in the bowl of flour mixture until covered completely
- Shake excess flour then place in the basket of your deep fryer
- Fry in oil 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
- Place on a paper towel lined plate
- Continue until all onions are cooked
- For the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a 8x8 pan, combine green beans, gluten-free cream of mushroom soup, gluten-free soy sauce, Real salt, pepper and 2/3 c. gluten-free fried onions in a casserole dish
- Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees
- Sprinkle with remaining fried onions and bake 5 more minutes
If you love this recipe, you will love these…
*Originally published October 30, 2017.