This gluten-free sticky orange ginger chicken with coconut rice is a great homemade take on traditional Chinese takeout food. I love takeout but finding a good gluten-free sticky orange ginger chicken with coconut rice is nearly impossible. Now you can make it yourself.
The best part is that this recipe for gluten-free sticky orange ginger chicken with coconut rice is so easy to make and tastes delicious. A little cornstarch is all it takes to give this chicken a simple floured like texture. The sauce uses simple ingredients and with a low and steady cook, becomes sticky and sweet.
Of course, it is made even better thanks to the coconut rice that couldn’t be simpler. It is extra moist thanks to the full fat in the coconut milk. It’s creamy texture makes an amazing accompaniment to the sweet, citrusy chicken. I also love to serve it up with Asian cabbage salad. I have always loved Chinese food. In fact, when I was a little girl and got to choose what my mom would make for my birthday dinner, I always asked for her homemade Chinese food. It always took her hours to make and I think she had to use every pan she owned. The kitchen was in ruins after but she still obliged and made her daughter the one birthday meal she wanted. I will never forget her selflessness and kindness.
Back then, mom made homemade egg rolls, sweet and sour chicken complete with homemade breading and sweet and sour sauce. She also made ham fried rice which tasted better than any restaurant variety available.
While I would love to be as awesome as my mom and recreate this meal for my kids, I rarely have the energy with three little ones to actually do it. Since I still want gluten-free Chinese food, I had to come up with some simpler dishes. This gluten-free sticky orange ginger chicken with coconut rice is both simple and delicious.
I love Dry Sparkling soda because it is smooth, slightly sweet and flavored just right. Not only is it great to drink but it is also great in recipes. This crab stack with blood orange vinaigrette was another recipe we used their products in and loved it. A bit in our sticky orange ginger chicken sauce makes for a great sauce.
Then you can also pair the dish with a nice cold glass of Dry Sparkling ginger soda. The two together make a great pair! I also like to top this dish with some fresh grated orange zest and LOTS of pickled ginger. In my opinion, you just can’t get enough pickled ginger.
Need an EASY and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert?
Take a look at my Sheet Pan Meals and More!
Subscribe to This Vivacious Life
Receive a free e-book of Instant Pot recipes!
Gluten-Free Sticky Orange Ginger Chicken with Coconut Rice
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into chunks
- 1 T butter
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1/4 C Dry Sparkling ginger soda
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- Juice of 1 medium size orange
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. onion salt
- 1 C rice any variety is fine
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- In a rice cooker, add the rice and coconut milk and start cook
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 T butter until melted
- Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine all remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat 15 minutes making sure to whisk often
- Once the chicken is cooked through, sprinkle 2 T corn starch over chicken and toss to coat
- Pour the orange ginger sauce over chicken and continue cooking for 5 minutes on low heat until evenly coated
- Once the rice is done, place on plates and top with sticky orange ginger chicken
- Garnish with more fresh orange zest and lots of pickled ginger
*Thank you to Dry Sparkling for sponsoring this post.